Wednesday 11 February 2009

Social Experiment with Gender

Today was the cross-dress day for spirit week at my school. As one of the few boys who opted to dress as I normally do and not cross dress, I was able to gain an outsider's perspective when the class took a trip across the road to 7-11. The experiment was to observe the reactions to crossing the cultural boundaries of gender. I anticipated that in Taiwan, where there is less of a cultural binary in terms of gender issues, the popular reaction would be laughter. I was right. People treated the class as more of a joke than any serious offense or assault on cultural standards. I think that crossing cultural boundaries for gender can be healthy if one feels an honest urge to do so. People should not try to make themselves into something they are not, and this goes both ways. You shouldn't cross dress if you don't want to, but if you feel an earnest desire to do so, you can perhaps begin to transgress into the realm of cultural taboos. Males are less accepted when they cross dress, that is clear. I submit that it is harder for males to cross dress because we are in constant competition with each other to find females, and we know it. More to come...

No comments: